If you do decide to create your logo yourself, there are a number of online DIY logo design sites that we recommend, such as Free Logo Services.com, Logo Maker, Vista print, Design Crowd, and Logo Inn.
When it comes to creating a business logo, less is definitely more. It's advisable to steer clear of busy, over-colorful logos.
Here are 5 important factors to consider when designing your logo:
- Simplicity – the easier it is for consumers to process your logo, the better.
- Brand consistency – convey key brand characteristics and messaging in your logo design. Who are you? Your logo needs to tell your story.
- Memorability – will consumers remember your logo? Memorability leads to repeat customers and word-of-mouth.
- Remarkability – create a unique logo that is ‘worthy of remark’, something that stands out. This is especially important for new businesses.
- Market testing – test out people’s reactions to your logo using a tool like Amazon’s Mechanical Turk.
There are two types of logo designs:
- Abstract symbols
- Logotypes, which is the company name in a logo design
New businesses should generally use logotypes for their logo design, as abstract symbols are more difficult for consumers to remember and are more expensive to create.
Your logo is the most important visual representation of your brand, so make sure that the final design meets or exceeds your expectations.